I'm very excited to have been nominated by the lovely Lucy over at Foodie Force to do the food bloggers Get To Know Me tag!

Admittedly, I feel like a little bit of a fraud for this. I may throw the fdbloggers hashtag around on Twitter but I'm not entirely sure I could honestly, hand-on-heart say that I fit that category - especially as most of the (very few) recipes I've ever posted have been Michele's. Gulp.

But nevertheless, I'm more than happy to join the food blogger fun - so let's get started.

Name: Lucy (this is me in case you didn't know:)


What was your reason for starting a blog?
I love indulging in writing and seeing as the university newspaper only had a limited amount of pages  and plenty of other much more talented  students to print, I decided to harness my own little webpage where I can write as much as I want. Mwahaha.

What's the dish you're most proud of?I have a couple of recipes that I always whip out when I want to impress friends at dinner. They're really simple and speedy but always get rave reviews (but then I don't mix with a particularly foodie crowd so I'm getting off easily here). In any case, my favourite main is usually anchovy and red onion spaghetti with pecorino - the saltiness of the fish and cheese is balanced by the sweeter onions.

I've been making the same cake for years too and I've completely tailored it to how I like it. It's basically a simply chocolate sponge but as soon as it comes out of the oven, I drizzle a generous helping of maple syrup on the filling side of the sponges before slathering them in Nutella. Then I slap them together and top off with melted chocolate.

What one kitchen utensil could you not live without?
Sharp kitchen knives. When I cook at someone else's house and the knives don't actually chop.. argh.

You're stranded on a desert island; what three ingredients do you take with you?
Well firstly I'm assuming that I'm on a desert island just off the coast of Italy so I can flag down the coastguards/local fishermen and get them to bring me extra, yummy, Italian supplies. Failing that - I really have no idea! Maybe that Huel stuff, that new nutritionally complete powder? It sounds boring but... what three ingredients could provide that?

Ok, a proper answer... definitely Hotel Chocolat's 50% milk chocolate. It's just too good. So then two savoury ingredients so I don't get bored of eating sugar all the time... Stracciatella, which is my favourite Italian cheese. And then I should probably take a vegetable shouldn't I? Let's go with kale because I'm constantly bordering on anaemia and it's a bit more exciting than spinach.

I'm assuming that I will be allowed to fish and somehow harvest herbs, bake bread and press my own olive oil (?!?!?!) on this desert island too...

Who do you take inspiration from?
Blogging-wise, pretty much every blogger I ever read! You can learn something from everybody.

What's your favourite social platform?
I like browsing Instagram for an aesthetic hit but I really appreciate the instant reach of Twitter. I've gone off Facebook lately although I never used it for blogging purposes anyway.

Biggest disaster in the kitchen?
I tried catching a falling makeshift bain marie once - my friend basically knocked the precariously balanced pans off the hob and my instant reaction was to catch them, resulting in boiling water dowsing my hands. They looked like chicken leg skin for weeks! This wasn't even for a particularly gourmet creation - we were melting chocolate for cornflake cakes!

Favourite spot for coffee?
Exploding Bakery in Exeter. The cakes are just incredible. Although it can be hard to get a seat inside so on a miserable day, Boston Tea Party just up the road. In Milan, I like sitting outside with a coffee anywhere between Moscova and Piazza Gae Aulenti to soak up the atmosphere.

Favourite photo you've taken?
Food-wise, I don't have one! I actually prefer my landscape pictures as I think I do those much better. Nevertheless I like this one from my post about Erba Brusca, the colours and the candlelight just remind me of a gorgeous evening.

What would you say is your most successful blog post and why?
For me success is all about interaction with readers so any post that inspires a well thought out comment is a success for me. I don't get huge numbers of page reads every day but that's fine as long as some of the people who do read drop me a comment :)

Nominate three food bloggers you'd like to get to know more:

Lisa at Not Quite Enough
Rachel at Handbags and Cupcakes
Andrea at Andrea's Passions

That was fun!

And a great distraction from the terrifying fact that I am officially moving into my first flat today, aaargh!!! I don't have any internet there so ciao for now blogosphere and I'll be back asap!