Life has been a little topsy-turvy lately, hence the silence on the blog. I often find that I am way too optimistic with the amount of spare time I think I'll have on my hands ("Oh, I'll write about that later today, I'll just finish reading for this essay - half an hour tops - and then chill out for a bit") when really, it's not all that much after I've put myself through all the self-imposed academic torture. I've even started studying whilst on my new exercise bike and in the bath! Talk about efficient...


So there's some good news and some bad news. The good news is, today is pancake day! The bad news is, tomorrow is Lent. Last year I hosted a little pancake party in the flat in Milan which was partially ruined by the public transport strike stopping half my guests actually getting to us (but hey, there was more for me in the end!) I made big fat, fluffy American-style pancakes (which got a seal of approval from my American friend so, y'know they've got to be good!) This year I'll be making them in my little student kitchen with my favourite topping combination of mascarpone, honey, blueberries and orange rind. Recipe is here. Thank me later.


I've been reading a bit more lately too. So far this academic year I think I've gotten through about seven novels which is pretty decent considering most people lament the fact that they can't read for pleasure at all. I started reading for half an hour in the morning to wake my brain up and half an hour at night to send it back to sleep again and this little routine has made a huge difference. If you can bear to set your alarm a little earlier, I thoroughly recommend it. Hopefully I'll be doing a couple of book reviews soon...

It's 8:15 now which means I should probably get out of bed so that I can actually get to my 9 o'clock lecture (which lasts for three hours straight, the cruelty of it all...) I'm hoping I'll be able to make some time for a proper post soon with pictures and everything. I have racked up a rather hefty queue of things to post about (Piedmont, Puglia, Rome from last year, trips to London from this year and... other things? I think...) which makes me feel a bit impatient whenever I think about blogging. Perhaps I'll sit down and sort it all out one day...

In any case, have a great Pancake Day, don't forget to stuff your face to your heart's content and good luck for anybody doing Lent this year (I'm giving up all sweet things for some reason...)