So after my last, very brief post at 8 this morning whilst I was still in bed and debating how long I could leave it before getting ready for my 9am lecture... I had a look at some of the pictures from last year's Pancake Day and decided to post them up here.





On the day itself, I had a (very) little party at mine and Michele's flat. There was a public transport strike in Milan that day so half the guests couldn't make it but Martina cycled over and Mollie turned up a couple of hours later after a lengthy battle with the few buses that were still running and a massively-congested, car-ridden Milan (that's commitment!)


I started off with a savoury version of the big, fat American-style pancakes I love so much - broccoli and parmesan fritters. These bad boys were so good I was eating the batter raw.


I made sure we had a good selection of toppings for everyone to choose from. There were fresh berries, oranges, mascarpone, maple syrup, pistacchio cream, dulche de leche, Nutella and fruity jams.




So naturally things got pretty messy pretty quickly as we scrambled to see just how many toppings we could cram onto one pancake.



How I think I look when I'm eating...

...and how I actually look





Once the initial frenzy had died down and we were consuming pancakes at an acceptable rate, I dressed a stack up for Michele's Dad who lives in the apartment downstairs.


Much to the disappointment of my guests!



I'm so excited about making these again later tonight, just sad that I won't be with Michele, Martina or Mollie for another night of giggles. I miss living there so much!

If you want my basic pancake recipe for tonight, click here (if it's not too late - it's almost 6pm here which means most Brits will have had their dinner and will be supping on their evening cuppa if stereotypes are to be believed).

I'll be smothering mine with mascarpone, drizzling them with honey and scattering a handful of blueberries over the top with a good grating of orange rind on the top to finish it off. Luckily most of the guys coming over tonight prefer crepes meaning I'll be able to leave the crowds to my crepe-o-phile flatmates and spend the evening catering for myself (ha). 

Happy pancake day!